Alexandra Wine Company
Alexandra Wine Company is are a small, dedicated vineyard, totally committed to producing quality wines, which reflect the climate, soils and energy of one of the world’s most exciting new wine regions.
Grapes have been grown on the Dunstan Flats for 130 years and Davishon is only a short distance from Monte Christo, where Jean Feraud produced the first Central Otago wines in the 1860’s.
The first vineyard plantings at Davishon were the main block in 1992, with the next two blocks being planted 1996. After experimenting with 10/5, 2/10, and clone 13 & 5 pinot noir clones, the new blocks have been planted with Davis 5 (Pommard) and Dijon clone 115. These are starting to produce exciting results. The 3.5 hectare vineyard is now 70% Pinot Noir, 20% Pinot Gris and the remainder Chardonnay.
Alexandra Wine Company vines are grown on a Geneva Double Curtain trellising system. It is also referred to simply as GDC. The concept aims to improve grape quality by reducing shade within a dense canopy, by dividing the mass of foliage into two. The trunk is grown high, about 1.5m. From this two permanent cordons grow, each one trained out to run along a supporting wire, approximately 1.2m apart. Along the cordon are the spurs that produce the fruiting canes, which hang down towards the ground. Hence the canopy has been divided into two ‘curtains’. This trellising system has many advantages by improving exposure of the bunches to light, more uniform budburst and ripening, increased quality of fruit and yield.
- Alexandra Wine Company Davishon Pinot Noir 2004 (Liquorland Top 100 2006, Gold Medal Wines)
- Alexandra Wine Company alex.gold Pinot Noir 2007 (Trophy) (Liquorland Top 100 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Alexandra Wine Company Davishon Pinot Noir 2000. (Sydney International Wine Competition 2002, Blue Gold Award Winners)
- ALEXANDRA WINE COMPANY - DAVISHON PINOT NOIR - 2010 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2012, Award Winning Wines)
- Alexandra Wine Company Davishon Pinot Noir 2002 (International Wine Challenge 2004)
- Alexandra Wine Co/Vinpro Ferauds Chardonnay 2006 (Bragato Wine Awards 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Alexandra Wine Co/Vinpro Davishon Pinot Noir 2007 (Bragato Wine Awards 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)