After a visit to Central Otago in the South Island of New Zealand the opportunity presented itself to purchase a piece of the Mt Difficulty High Country Sheep Station that was to be subdivided. In 1999 we bought the land, in 2003 we agreed “what are we waiting for?” and so we left the city, Jane from her role as partner in her rehabilitation business and Denny as a Business Development and Marketing Executive, for our piece of land in the heart of the South Island, to Bannockburn in Central Otago, fulfilling the dream of two very passionate people.
Jane from as far back as a high school geography trip had fallen in love with Central Otago – its smell, its clarity of light, its magnificent landscape, the big skies; a deep blue that seem to go on forever, and knew that one day she would live here. Denny whose passion for a challenge and a love of the mysteries of wine was energised by this land of extraordinary contrasts and grandeur and knowing the area was on the edge for the growing of grapes and wine making, the allure was too great and the love affair began.
- Desert Heart Pinot Noir 2007 (Liquorland Top 100 2009, Gold Medal and Trophy)
- Desert Heart Mackenzies Run Pinot Noir 2008 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Desert Heart Magic Moments Rose 2012 TROPHY (Royal Easter Wine Show 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Desert Heart Pinot Noir 2007 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2009, Award Winning Wines)
- Desert Heart Riesling 2007 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Desert Heart Pinot Noir 2007 (International Wine and Spirit 2008)
- Desert Heart Pinot Noir, 2007 TROPHY (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Desert Heart Riesling 2009 (Bragato Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
The Desert Heart woolshed accommodation is set in the middle of the stunning Desert Heart vineyard nestled at the base of Mt Difficulty on the North facing slopes of the banks of the Kawarau River on Felton Road, Central Otago, New Zealand.
The woolshed apartment with its relaxed interior layout has two spacious bedrooms (one queen, two single beds) and can therefore accommodate 1 to 4 people. The apartment is completely self-contained, including a fully equipped kitchen, living area with works of art from local artists, Sky digital television, CD player, and a large covered verandah. Guests are welcome roam around the vineyard.