Gibbston Highgate Estate
Like most winegrowers we are passionate about the care of our vineyard. The quality of wine we strive to produce depends on clean, ripe fruits. One advantage of being a small estate winery is that our vineyard is worked by hand and we can give the necessary attention to each step in the process.
Our vineyard, Gibbston Highgate Estate historically made up part of the lower Waitiri Station farm. The original land was a high-country merino sheep station where the highgate was opened in spring to let the sheep roam over the mountaintops once the snow had melted. The Highgate leads to the Coal Pit Saddle framing the distant landscape behind the property. Surrounded by mountains, the front of the property is dominated by another massive bluff, Rock Peak. Gibbston Highgate Estate is nestled close to the base of the Mount Rosa massif, with the Nevis Bluff to the east and Coronet Peak to the west.
This country produces brilliantly distinctive central Otago wines because of the altitude; it can also produce heartbreak for the winegrower with unseasonable weather.
- Gibbston Highgate Estate Heartbreaker Chardonnay 2004 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2006, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- GIBBSTON HIGHGATE ESTATE SOULTAKER PINOT NOIR 2006 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2008, Award Winning Wines)
- GIBBSTON HIGHGATE SOULTAKER PINOT NOIR 2007 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2010, Award Winning Wines)
- GIBBSTON HIGHGATE THE SOULTAKER PINOT NOIR 2008 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2011, Award Winning Wines)
- Gibbston Highgate Estate Soultaker Central Otago Pinot Noir 2006 (International Wine and Spirit 2007, New Zealand Gold and Silver Medal Wines)
- Gibbston Highgate Estate Soultaker Central Otago Pinot Noir 2007 (International Wine and Spirit 2008)