Hinton Estate Vineyard was established by the family that has grown premium fruit in Central Otago, New Zealand for the last five generations. The vineyard is located in Earnscleugh, near Alexandra, high above the orchards on steep north-facing slopes in well drained schist soils.
The Hintons planted Pinot Noir in 1999 as well as a small trial plot of Merlot. The first vintage of Pinot Noir was produced in 2002. The family has, however, had some involvement with grapes prior to the recent plantings.
Table-grapes were grown for decades in a glasshouse “vinery” from the 1930’s onwards. An experimental plot of vines planted outside in the 1940’s was abandoned – one of the reasons being the difficulties brought about by the, at the time, uncontrollable rabbit plague.
Central Otago has a unique microclimate well suited to growing the notoriously complex Pinot Noir grape variety.
The Hintons have since planted more Pinot Noir along with Pinot Gris, Riesling, Viogner and Gewürztraminer.
Our tasting room in Alexandra is open daily in summer from 9am 5pm for wine tasting and fresh fruit sales. If you are planning on visiting us from June October we will generally be open Monday to Friday from 10am 4pm however it is recommended to phone ahead on 03 448 8231 or 0274 367 416.
19 Chicago St, Alexandra (Right on the Otago Central Rail Trail)
- Hinton Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir 2007 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Hinton Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir 2006 (International Wine Challenge 2008)
- Hinton Estate Vineyard Barrel Selection Pinot Noir 2007 TROPHY (International Wine Challenge 2009)
- Hinton Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2009)
- Hinton Estate Vineyard Hinton Estate Barrel Selection 2007 (Bragato Wine Awards 2008, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)