Johanneshof Cellars is a small artisan boutique winery producing wines from hand harvested grapes only sourced from their vineyards and growers in Marlborough on New Zealands South Island.
It is jointly owned and operated by Edel Everling a fifth generation winemaker from Ruedesheim, Rheingau, Germany and Warwick Foley from Marlborough. Both winemakers trained in the world-famous wine area of Rheingau in Germany, where Edel studied for her degree in viticulture and oenology at Geisenheim University while Warwick was a guest student there. They continued to work for renowned wineries in Germany and New Zealand before setting up Johanneshof Cellars in 1991.
Warwick and Edel make all wines on site combining the traditions of the art of winemaking with modern technology. Their principals are to crop at a very low level to enhance fruit quality and flavours, harvesting the grapes predominantly by hand and interfering as little as possible with vines and wines. The estate vineyard is close-planted in European tradition and not irrigated. The winery is build multi-levelled to utilise gravity rather than pumping wines. A modern laboratory ensures control of fermentations but is not seen as a substitute to regular organoleptic evaluations of the wines.
- The Wines
- Johanneshof Cellars is also well known for its Rieslings, fruity and Germanic in style and has won numerous awards for Sauvignon Blanc and Aromatic varieties. Just in the last few years, Johanneshof has won six Trophies and 7 Gold medals in different shows for Pinot Gris, Gewurztraminer and Riesling.
- The Pinot Gris made in a dry Alsace style gained the only 5 star rating in the Cuisine Magazines first ever NZ Pinot Gris tasting in December 2000, continued to be placed in the top 3 ratings. The vintage 2001 won a Silver Medal in the London International Wine Challenge. The latest accolade being the Trophy for Champion Pinot Gris of Show in the 2004 Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Awards.
- In the same competition the 2003 Johanneshof Noble Late Harvest Riesling won the Trophy for Champion Sweet Wine of Show.
- The Johanneshof Cellars Gewurztraminer 2004 was voted Best NZ Aromatic White wine and Top NZ Gewurztraminer (for the second consecutive year) by Cuisine Magazine, May 2005, issue 110.
- In the Air NZ Wine Awards (Nov. 04) the 2004 Johanneshof Gewürztraminer was awarded one of only two Gold Medals from 52 Gewürztraminer entries, also Gold Medal and Trophy winning Champion Gewurztraminers of Show at 2005 Royal New Zealand Easter Show, March 2005.
- At the 2005 Decanter World Wine Awards in London this wine received top honours with the only Gewurztraminer Gold and Trophy for International Aromatic White over 10 pounds as well as Regional New Zealand Aromatic White over 10 Pounds Trophy.
- The 2003 Johanneshof Cellars Gewurztraminer was awarded a Gold medal at The 2003 Liquorland TOP 100 International Wine Award and received the Trophy for Champion Aromatic Wine of the Show.
- Johanneshof also produces a soft, subtle Pinot Noir and of course a fruity, flavoursome Sauvignon Blanc. The 2004 Sauvignon was awarded Bronze at the Liquorland Top 100 International Wine Awards in Oct. 2004 as did the 2003 vintage in Oct. 2003. While the 2003 Sauvignon Blanc was voted third best Sauvignon in the Australian Small Winemakers Show, Queensland, Nov. 2003, vintage 2004 was winner of Bronze Medal at Royal Easter Show 2005.Johanneshof Marlborough Pinot Gris 2004 (Liquorland Top 100 2004, Gold Medal Wines)
- Johanneshof Marlborough Noble Late Harvest Riesling 2003 (Trophy) (Liquorland Top 100 2004, Gold Medal Wines)
- Johanneshof Gewurztraminer 2006 (Liquorland Top 100 2006, Gold Medal Wines)
- Johanneshof Gewurztraminer 2003 (Liquorland Top 100 2003, Gold Medal Wines)
- Johanneshof Cellars Pinot Gris Medium 2008 (Liquorland Top 100 2009, Gold Medal and Trophy)
- Johanneshof Cellars Gewurztraminer 2009 (Liquorland Top 100 2010, Gold Medal Winners)
- Johanneshof Gewürztraminer 2004 (Champion Gewürztraminer) (Royal Easter Wine Show 2005, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Johanneshof Cellars Pinot Gris Trocken Dry 2007 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2008, Gold and Trophy Winners)
- Johanneshof Cellars Noble Late Harvest Riesling 2006 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2008, Gold and Trophy Winners)
- Johanneshof Cellars Gewurztraminer 2009 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Johanneshof Cellars Marlborough Gewurztraminer 2010 TROPHY (Royal Easter Wine Show 2011, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- JOHANNESHOF CELLARS MARLBOROUGH GEWURZTRAMINER 2010 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2011, Award Winning Wines)
- JOHANNESHOF CELLARS - NOBLE LATE HARVEST RIESLING - 2008 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2012, Award Winning Wines)
- Johanneshof Gewurztraminer 2004 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2004, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Johanneshof Cellars Marlborough Gewurztraminer 2009 (New Zealand Winegrowers Champion Gewurztraminer Trophy) (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2009, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Johanneshof Cellars Marlborough Riesling 2010 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Johanneshof Cellars Sauvignon Blanc 2005 (International Wine and Spirit 2006, New Zealand wines gold and silver medals)
- Johanneshof Cellars 2007 Noble Late Harvest Riesling, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2010)