Ngatarawa Wines is situated in a secluded rural setting to the west of Hastings. The winery and its cellar door are housed in old equestrian stables fronted by tranquil lily ponds and gardens. Ngatarawa Wines are marketed under four different names. Winemaker Alwyn Corban’s best wines are labelled with the Alwyn name. Next are wines labelled Glazebrook followed by those labelled Silks. Wines labelled ‘Stables’ are made for everyday drinking. Ngatarawa Wines’ Merlot Cabernet 1998 was judged to be a ‘Wine of Outstanding Quality’ at the Sydney Top 100 Wine Show, was awarded a gold medal at the International Wine Challenge 2000 in London and awarded gold at the Air New Zealand Wine Awards 1999. Ngatarawa Wines Noble Harvest Riesling is a sumptuous and honey flavoured sticky – a must have for any lover of sweet wines as is the more expensive Alwyn Noble Harvest. Also recommended is Ngatarawa’s Glazebrook Chardonnay.
Peter Gough - Senior Winemaker and Viticulturist
Peter joined Ngatarawa in 1993 after completing his post-graduate diploma at Roseworthy College in Australia. Prior to this he was managing partner of a 12 hectare vineyard in Hawkes Bay.
Peter has been actively involved in Hawkes Bay grape grower bodies.
Ngatarawa's cellar door is very friendly and relaxed.
CELLAR DOOR OPEN DAILY
Summer: 10am to 5pm
October Labour Weekend to Easter inclusive
Winter: 11am to 4pm
Post Easter to Labour Weekend
Closed: Christmas Day, Good Friday & Anzac Day until 1pm (April 25)
Tastings are complimentary
Groups welcome by appointment - a per person charge may apply to large groups
Ngatarawa began as the shared vision of two very different families. What the Corban family name is to winemaking, so the Glazebrook family name is to farming. It was the remarkable union of these two families, with their rich heritages of vision, innovation and passion that saw Ngatarawa Wines established in former racing Stables in 1981.
When Alwyn Corban and Garry Glazebrook converted the Stables and planted their vineyard, it was one of New Zealand's earliest boutique wineries. Ngatarawa still remains a key pioneer of grape growing and winemaking in the Bridge Pa Triangle on the western edge of the Heretaunga Plains in Hawke's Bay.
It was established at a time when there were only 96 winemakers in New Zealand, with just 8 in Hawke's Bay and only 2 in Marlborough. At 10 acres, Ngatarawa's original planting of Chardonnay was the largest in Hawke's Bay at the time. Other varieties in the original 27 acre vineyard included Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Gewurztraminer and Semillon.
In 1999, after 18 years of pioneering, the Glazebrook family sold their shareholding to Alwyn and Brian Corban.
- Ngatarawa Stables Gewurztraminer 2011 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2012, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Ngatarawa Stables Reserve Syrah 2011 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2012, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- NGATARAWA ALWYN NOBLE HARVEST RIESLING RESERVE 2006 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2008, Award Winning Wines)
- Glazebrook New Zealand Noble Harvest Riesling 2009 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2009, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Ngatarawa Cellar Door Riesling 2010 (Pure Gold) (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2011, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Ngatarawa Alwyn Noble Harvest Riesling 2006 (International Wine Challenge 2007, New Zealand wines - Gold and Silver medals)
- Ngatarawa Glazebrook New Zealand Merlot Cabernet, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2009)
- Ngatarawa Glazebrook New Zealand Syrah, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2009)
- Ngatarawa Alwyn Winemakers Reserve Chardonnay, 2007 TROPHY (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Ngatarawa Glazebrook New Zealand Chardonnay, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Ngatarawa Glazebrook New Zealand Noble Harvest Riesling, 2009 (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Ngatarawa Alwyn Winemakers Reserve Merlot Cabernet, 2008 (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Ngatarawa Glazebrook New Zealand Noble Harvest Riesling, 2009 (International Wine Challenge 2011, Gold Medal Winners)
- Ngatarawa Alwyn Winemakers Reserve Chardonnay, 2010 GOLD AND TROPHY (International Wine Challenge 2012, Gold Medal Winners)
- Glazebrook Noble Harvest Riesling 2009 TROPHY (Bragato Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)