Omaka Springs Estates
Located in the beautiful Southern Valleys of Marlborough, Omaka Springs Estates produces terroir-expressive fine wines and olive oil from the spring-fed soils of the Omaka Valley.
Omaka Springs Estates is the sole producer of estate wines and olive oil in the Omaka Valley of Marlborough. All of our grapes and olives are grown on our 180 acre estate located in the very heart of the valley and all of our wine is created on-sight by Winemaker, Ian Marchant.
“Omaka” is a Maori word which translates to “where the springs flow.” Here in the valley, there are mineral-rich natural springs that meander through our vineyards, feeding the soils, and ultimately imparting a distinct, signature nuance of minerality in all our wines.
Winemaker Ian Marchant has been involved in wines since 1978. He is originally from the UK and is a graduate of Roseworthy College in Applied Sciences and Oenology. After his training, Ian stayed around Australia for 13 years crafting wines for several notable wineries. Enticed by the idea of working for a smaller estate and having a closer relationship with the vineyard and fruit, Ian came onboard with Omaka Springs in 1998.
Today, he continues to work closely with long-time Vineyard Manager, Richard Shepherd to grow high-quality grapes and produce award winning wines. Ian Marchant uses minimalistic techniques allowing the grapes to show their own identity as he crafts the wines. This starts with the grapes being picked when they are organoleptically ripe - which may not be necessarily sugar ripe. The grapes are then crushed and pressed within 20 minutes of harvest to retain as much of the aromatics as possible. Neutral yeast is used for fermentation; again this allows the grapes to show their true flavours. Then, with little intervention, the wine is fined and filtered for bottling.
What Ian aims to achieve, is the characteristics of the terroir with his wines, and what makes the Southern Valleys area of Marlborough a magical place to grow wine.
Omaka Springs Estates welcomes visitors at its cellar door located on Kennedys Road, where the full complement of award winning wines is available, including those of limited release and some selected library wines. Omaka Springs Estates is open from Monday to Friday 10am to 4.30pm. For weekend visits call the winery to make an appointment.
Owners Geoff & Robina Jensen were pioneers in the New Zealand olive oil industry when they planted their first olive trees in 1990. In 1992, they literally up-rooted the olive trees from their original plot in Nelson, and then re-planted the trees alongside existing vineyards at their new estate in the Omaka Valley. Today, the olive oil is still bottled by hand here at the estate or offered to our friends straight from the barrel.
- Omaka Springs Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2007 (International Wine and Spirit 2007, New Zealand Gold and Silver Medal Wines)
- Omaka Springs Riesling 2004 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2005, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Omaka Springs Estates Falveys Sauvignon Blanc 2006 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2007, Gold Medal Winners)
- Omaka Springs Estates Marlborough Pinot Gris 2010 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2011, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Omaka Springs Reserve Chardonnay 2000. (Sydney International Wine Competition 2002, Blue Gold Award Winners)
- Omaka Springs Estates Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2006 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2007, Award Winning Wines)
- Omaka Springs Estates Falveys Sauvignon Blanc 2006 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2007, Award Winning Wines)
- Omaka Springs Estates Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, 2008 (International Wine Challenge 2009)