Pisa Range Estate
Authentic, distinctive and truly unforgettable wines.
Established in 1995 Pisa Range Estate is one of oldest vineyards of the Pisa district a warm micro-climate of the Cromwell Basin, Central Otago
Pisa Range Estate proudly produces authentic wines of distinction that truly express their sense of place. Minimal intervention on this Pisa land is the guiding principal that shapes our wines.
Central Otago is the only wine region in New Zealand with a continental climate. The hot dry summers, cold winters and long cool autumns provide the ideal conditions for the notoriously fickle pinot noir grape. The large diurnal temperature variation the difference between daytime and night time temperatures contributes to flavour intensity and depth of colour.
Established in 1995 and located at Pisa, (10km north of Cromwell, Central Otago) it has proved to be one of the best sites in the Cromwell Basin for premium grape production. The combination of high growing degree days, cool nights, and Waenga loam soils, consistently produces award winning wines.
Minimal intervention is our guiding principle in the management of the land and in the winery. Viticulture practices strive for quality ensuring the very best fruit is brought into the winery. These include close vine spacing, careful clonal selection, low crop yields (around 4-5 tonne per hectare) plus hand-harvesting. A natural sward has been kept between the vine rows , which supports biodiversity. Biodynamic preparations are also applied each season to promote vine health and to keep the vines in balance.
The aim is for our wines to express their sense of place. The Black Poplar Block Pinot Noir rated as a New Zealand Classic is our signature wine crafted from the oldest vines. It is named after the two majestic Black Poplar trees that dominate this area of the vineyard.
Our inaugural Riesling was launched with the 2012 vintage, produced from vines with an average age of around 8 years. Pisa Range Estate is an Accredited Member of Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand, Biodynamic Association of New Zealand and a Member of Slow Food Otago.
- Pisa Range Estate Black Poplar Block Pinot Noir 2003 (International Wine and Spirit 2006, New Zealand wines gold and silver medals)
- Pisa Range Estate Black Poplar Block Pinot Noir 2005 (International Wine and Spirit 2007, New Zealand Gold and Silver Medal Wines)
- Pisa Range Estate Black Poplar Block Pinot Noir 2006 (International Wine and Spirit 2008)
- Pisa Range Estate Black Poplar Block Pinot Noir 2007 (International Wine and Spirit 2009)
- Pisa Range Estate "Black Poplar Block" Pinot Noir 2008 (Bragato Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Pisa Range Estate 'Black Poplar Block' Pinot Noir 2010 - Warwick Hawker (Bragato Wine Awards 2012, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)