We pride ourselves on creating limited release wines for the discerning wine drinker. Our point of difference comes from pushing the boundaries and growing grapes in unique and inspiring vineyard sites across the various sub-regions of Marlborough. Hidden jewels, remote, back breaking vineyards writing the next chapter in Marlborough’s wine story
As New Zealand and the Marlborough region has deservedly grown in reputation for producing world class wine with its characteristic clean, fresh appeal, Summerhouse has developed its own reputation for outstanding quality; gained international acclaim for its artisan wines with purity of fruit flavour.
Summerhouse vineyard lies on glacial soils and is nestled in Marlboroughs Wairau and Waihopai Valleys at the top of New Zealands South Island. The vineyard has no underlying water table, enabling control over the vines vigour. A gentle north facing slope and the shelter of the Kaikoura and Richmond Ranges provides a long slow ripening season that enables the fruit to develop intense flavours.
Blessed with the ideal mix of clay, stones, alluvial and glacial silts, the soil at Summerhouse is warm, free draining and has low fertility – perfect for producing top quality grapes and infusing a wonderful minerality into Summerhouse wine.
Our current range includes; Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Syrah, Verdelho and a Blanc de Blancs Methode Traditionelle.
The Wine Room is the innovative new cellar door for Summerhouse and four other quality Marlborough wine producers. The Wine Room showcases the delightfully mouth watering Summerhouse range in an inviting and relaxing environment. The Wine Room is open daily from 10:00 am till 4:30pm and is located on State Highway 1.3km north of Blenheim, alongside Annie's cafe and shop.
New Zealand has long been famed for its stunning unspoilt landscape. New Zealands small population, isolated location and agricultural economy have earned the country a clean, green image. New Zealand grape growers and winemakers aim to keep it that way by protecting the environmental integrity of their wine production. Buckwheat is used in the Summerhouse vineyard to encourage beneficial insects.
To this end the Summerhouse wines are environmentally friendly and accredited by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand (SWNZ). SWNZ is a vineyard management programme with a holistic focus that guides vineyard operators towards sustainable management practices using a combination of education, encouragement, measurement and assessment against a background philosophy of continuous improvement. The SWNZ was developed to:
Provide a best practice model of environmental practices in the vineyard and winery.
Guarantee better quality assurance from the vineyard through to the bottle.
Address consumer concerns in matters pertaining to the environment and wine grape production.
- Summerhouse Sauvignon Blanc 2005 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2006, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Summerhouse Sauvignon Blanc 2007 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2008, Gold and Trophy Winners)
- Summerhouse Marlborough Chardonnay 2005 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2007, Award Winning Wines)
- SUMMERHOUSE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2007 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2008, Award Winning Wines)
- SUMMERHOUSE PINOT NOIR 2005 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2008, Award Winning Wines)
- SUMMERHOUSE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2009 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2010, Award Winning Wines)
- SUMMERHOUSE CHARDONNAY 2008 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2010, Award Winning Wines)
- Summerhouse Chardonnay 2004 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2005, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Summerhouse Marlborough Chardonnay 2005 (International Wine and Spirit 2007, New Zealand Gold and Silver Medal Wines)
- Summerhouse Gewurztraminer 2009 (Bragato Wine Awards 2009, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Summerhouse Chardonnay 2007 (Bragato Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Summerhouse Dry Riesling 2010 TROPHY (Bragato Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)