Established by Marcel Giesen and Sherwyn Veldhuizen in 1997, Bell Hill Vineyard in the Weka Pass, North Canterbury, is an area layered with history. Bell Hill itself, so named for its bell-like shape on its southern side, was first surveyed in 1917 by Charles Trounce who went on to establish a lime quarry that operated until the late 1930s.
However the history of the area goes back much further than that. Maori first explored Weka Pass around 1000 years ago, when the area was still forested and rich in birdlife. A large overhanging limestone shelter in the pass was used as a temporary overnight camp and early Maori rock art decorates its walls.
Visits are strictly by pre-arranged appointment only, please contact us in advance.