Akarua’s modern winery is sited beside its vineyard blocks on Cairnmuir Road, in Bannockburn. It was designed and built in 1999 to handle 300 tonnes of fruit with all the necessary equipment to ensure a no-compromise approach to winemaking. This is possibly the greatest quality attribute that the Akarua winery possesses – the ability to take the entire vineyard harvest in under the one roof at the same time and process it without fear or pressure of tank space shortage. Effectively this means that the wines spend as long as they need in tank without being moved into barrels in a rush to make way for further grapes. There are very few wineries in the country that possess this type of luxury for the winemaking team. This means that critical winemaking decisions are always based on the best wine quality outcome rather than juggling the logistics of tank space.
Akarua’s new cellar door was opened in September 2010 and since its opening has been the perfect way for Akarua to showcase our home and our brand to wine lovers from all over the world. It is a not to be missed stop on the Wine Trail for those interested in learning more about the Central Otago region and at the same time to enjoy sampling the diverse range of Akarua wines that are available; including our renown Pinot Noirs, Sparkling & Dessert Wines. Akarua have numerous award winning & sparkling wines available at the Cellar Door, such as the Akarua Vintage Brut 2010.
Akarua Cellar Door is situated on the picturesque Cairnmuir Road in Bannockburn, Central Otago where Akarua’s winery and vineyard is also situated. We welcome a large number of both international and domestic travelers to sample the delights of Akarua. Sometimes those passing through also have the unique opportunity to talk directly with the Akarua winemaking team.
Our aim is to provide our visitors with an enjoyable and fun experience and to share the history and story of Akarua whilst also imparting our intimate knowledge of our wines and what makes them so special.
We would love to meet you and share with you our passion for Akarua wines so if you do have the opportunity to visit, please drop in to our Cellar Door.
Visit Akarua Cellar Door at Rapid 210 Cairnmuir Rd, Bannockburn, Central Otago 9384, Phone (03) 445 0898, enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
Opening Hours: 7 Days a week 10.30 - 4pm (NB Winter Hours may vary so please enquire)
Wine Tasting: Free of Charge
The 50 hectare vineyard consists of three main sub areas.
- The lower portion, or flats that are closest to Cairnmuir Road, of 11.5 hectare with a soil base of about 800mm of sandy silt on deep, fine, alluvial gravel.
- The main terrace is a 25.5 hectare glacial terrace of finely fractured rock and gravel, overlaid by 300-400mm of very fine 'wind deposited silt'.
- The 13 hectare sloping hillside blocks, with names that all end in 'view', have the same layer of the 'wind deposited silt', this time over fractured schist and rock, which was the parent material of the main terrace.
Vines, which are mostly trained using the Vertical Shoot Positioning system, (with some spur pruning being trialed), are planted at 2,500 to 3,000 per hectare. Soil moisture is monitored weekly to make sure that the vines are not water-stressed and to ensure that water is never wasted.
All three areas have excellent drainage and enough soil to maintain grapevines with a modest crop load to produce clean, concentrated grapes typical to their variety.
The plantings are 70% Pinot Noir with Pinot Gris and Chardonnay sharing the balance with a small area of Riesling plantings on Redback Ridge.
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2003 (Liquorland Top 100 2004, Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2002 (Liquorland Top 100 2003, Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Chardonnay 2002 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2004, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Akarua "The Gullies" Pinot Noir 2002 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2004, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2009 TROPHY (Royal Easter Wine Show 2011, Gold Medal and Trophy Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2011 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Rose Brut NV (Royal Easter Wine Show 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2012 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2014, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Vintage Brut 2010 (Royal Easter Wine Show 2014, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- AKARUA GULLIES PINOT NOIR 2007 (Sydney International Wine Competition 2010, Award Winning Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2003 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2004, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- AKARUA PINOT NOIR 2002(Champion Wine of the Show and and Champion Pinot Noir) (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2003, Gold Medal and Champion Wines)
- Akarua Central Otago Reserve Pinot Noir 2009 (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2010, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Akarua Central Otago Alchemy Ice 2012 Pure Gold (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2012, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2011, Pure Gold (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Brut NV, Pure Gold (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Rosé Brut NV, Pure Gold (Air New Zealand Wine Awards 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Bannockburn Central Otago Pinot Noir 2005 (International Wine and Spirit 2007, New Zealand Gold and Silver Medal Wines)
- Akarua Cadence Pinot Noir 2007 (International Wine and Spirit 2009)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2002 (International Wine Challenge 2004)
- Akarua Cadence Pinot Noir, 2007 (International Wine Challenge 2010)
- Akarua Central Otago Pinot Noir 2011 - (Bragato Wine Awards 2012, Gold Medal and Trophy Winners)
- Akarua Rose Brut NV - Mark Naismith TROPHY (Bragato Wine Awards 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)
- Akarua Pinot Noir 2011 - Mark Naismith TROPHY (Bragato Wine Awards 2013, Trophy and Gold Medal Wines)